[Air-L] Anonymizing Twitter handles

Ye Na Lee jpt2007 at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 16 12:55:20 PDT 2017

Thank you Diana, Michael,
Maurice, xDxD.vs.xDxD, Bernhard, Shulman, José, Deen, and Jodi for all your
helpful feedback. As for some of the concerns that
anonymizing Twitter handles will be of no use if I am actually quoting the
tweets, I won`t be directly quoting the tweets because I will be
translating them from Korean to English and most of the tweets will be
presented in aggregated and summarized data sets. I think IRB is
taking more precaution because there is a risk of cyberbullying involved in
my research. I was going to follow Maurce, Bernhard, and Jose`s advice to
hash the Twitter handles
on excel and add a "salt" string but I realized that Twitter handles do not
constitute identifiable participant information according to IRB
standards and thus I won`t need to separate/code identifiers from collected
tweets. I will probably refer to Twitter handles as Twitter User A,
B, or C or hash the usernames on excel. Thank you all!