[Air-L] Non-software uses of GitHub

Eduardo Cuducos cuducos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 12:04:47 PST 2017

Hi Jim,

I'm Ed, developer and PhD candidate in sociology. In Brazil (my homeland)
the telecom lobby started to consider data caps for broadband (landline). A
acquaintance started a repo on GitHub listing ISP that were publicly saying
they wouldn't adopt any data cap.

This repo had massive contributions until we automatize the process so even
people without Git/GitHub knowledge could contribute.

The repo ends up as aa kind of open catalogue of small companies
challenging the monopoly power of the 3 biggest telecoms in Brazi have a
huge market share (80% I guess) and were the three companies pushing the
data cat strategy.

This is the repo <https://github.com/InternetSemLimites/InternetSemLimites>
(in pt-BR). It's in the top 5 of Brazilian GitHub projects
<https://medium.com/@hoffa/the-top-github-projects-per-country-92c275e19409>.
I got involved in the very beginning of this repo and I'm happy to give
more info — just drop a line if interested ; )

Cheers,

Ed

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM Jim Herbsleb <jim.herbsleb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m looking for GitHub repositories that are used for things other than
> software, especially where users are actively collaborating rather than
> just putting together static collections. So far, we have found a few books
> being written, some musical transcriptions being error-checked, and some
> policy documents maintained online.
>
> Does anyone know of any examples of these or other categories?  Any
> pointers much appreciated. Happy to share what we find with anyone
> interested.
>
> Jim
>
> ----
> Jim Herbsleb