[Air-L] Terms of Service not legally binding?

Casey Lynn Fiesler Casey.Fiesler at Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 7 07:36:58 PDT 2018

Yes, this is correct. The case hasn’t been decided yet, but survived a motion to dismiss, and is moving forward mostly on first amendment grounds.

I also just want to point out that this case is specifically about the application of the CFAA to TOS violations. If they are successful, it might mean that such an action wouldn’t be criminal under the CFAA, but that doesn’t mean that contract law couldn’t apply. (There’s also a chance that the case could be pretty narrowly construed and might not apply broadly to all kinds of research. :-\ )

Casey