[Air-L] Terms of Service not legally binding?

Lovaas,Steven Steven.Lovaas at ColoState.EDU
Sat Apr 7 08:57:26 PDT 2018

Charles,

Your questions often teach me, because I’m interested enough to go sleuthing. So I assume you’re aware of most of these resources; I include them as breadcrumbs for the interested.

The EFF white paper (https://www.eff.org/wp/clicks-bind-ways-users-agree-online-terms-service) hasn’t been updated in almost a decade, though they have a nice summary of “unconscionability” in online contacts as of 2011 (https://ilt.eff.org/index.php/Contracts:_Click_Wrap_Licenses). The American Bar Association has a paper from 2015 (https://www.americanbar.org/publications/communications_lawyer/2015/january/click_here.html) going into some nice detail of browsewrap vs clickwrap, citing court decisions. Key cases are reviewed here as late as 2016: https://www.google.com/amp/s/termsfeed.com/blog/3-key-legal-cases-on-click-wrap/amp/

This 2016 blog post is the closest I’ve found to an answer to your question:
https://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2016/08/anarchy-has-ensued-in-courts-handling-of-online-contract-formation-round-up-post.htm

Best of luck!
Steve Lovaas

Sent from my iPhone