[Air-L] Class activities ideas - post-varieties approach to (English) language use online

brook bolander brookbolander at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:01:42 PDT 2018

Dear all,
I am teaching a course on language and the internet this semester and this
week we are exploring what it means to go beyond a varieties approach to
English language use online. We are, in other words, exploring how online
language practices prompt us to rethink conceptualisations of language as
discrete, bounded and separable units, and hence of varieties of English,
too.
I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with a meaningful activity
to do with my students in class to allow them to apply these ideas, but
have so far not come up with anything I am happy with.
Do any of you have any ideas?
All best and thanks,
Brook

Brook Bolander
Lecturer in Linguistics
School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics
Monash University
Honorary Assistant Professor
School of English
The University of Hong Kong