[Air-L] CFP - Rural Computing: Beyond Access and Infrastructure (CSCW 2018)

Jean Hardy jkhardy at umich.edu
Tue Aug 28 07:47:27 PDT 2018

Hello AoIR!
A group of us are co-organizing a pre-conference workshop on rural
computing for the 2018 Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social
Computing (CSCW) conference happening in the New York City area this
November. If any of you are interested in that topic, it'd be a great place
to meet other folks. The short call is below and I'm happy to answer any
questions. You can check out all the info (including about the conference
itself) at www.ruralhci.info.

Best,
Jean

----

*Call for Participation for CSCW 2018 Workshop, "Rural Computing: Beyond
Access and Infrastructure"*

Are you interested in computing research in rural areas? Please consider
joining us on Sunday, November 4, 2018 for our workshop, “Rural Computing:
Beyond Access and Infrastructure” at CSCW 2018 in Jersey City, NJ.

There is increasing interest in the fields of computer supported
cooperative work (CSCW), social computing, and human computer interaction
(HCI) in rural areas. In particular, scholars have begun to investigate how
to make these sites more central to computing research and design, and not
solely as sites with failing or falling behind infrastructure or low
technology adoption rates. In this workshop, we will foreground how the
study of rural areas and their relationships to technology draw attention
to significant topics in CSCW and HCI, including biases inherent in crowd
computing platforms, sustainable practices, design, and aging populations.

We invite interested participants to submit a 2-4 page position or research
paper that addresses the workshop theme (rolling deadline starting
September 5). More information, including a full CFP, is available at:
www.ruralhci.info. Please direct any questions to
ruralcomputingworkshop at gmail.com.

--
Jean Hardy
PhD Student | University of Michigan School of Information