[Air-L] Digital Methods

Jason Farman jasonfarman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 08:26:29 PDT 2018

Hi Amanda,
On the website for my edited book, *The Mobile Story*, I worked with the
authors to come up with hands-on explorations of each of their chapters.
These explorations are projects that you can do with your students during
class time or as assignments. These can be accessed at:

http://themobilestory.com/explorations/

In terms of getting students to explore issues of privacy and
location-tracking, I detail a project I created with my students using the
tracking/surveillance app called Glympse. It was a fun project that got
them to think through the ways that we're tracked and producing
surveillance space with our mobile devices. You can read it in *Surveillance
& Society* here:

https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/misuse

Other projects I employ that get students to think through their mobile
devices include an app analysis, a Jason Travis-inspired photo project,
paper prototyping, and others detailed here:

https://dccmobile.wordpress.com/about/assignments/

Finally, a project that I do with my students is to work through mobile
phone repair to think through both the environmental impact of our mobile
devices as well as the infrastructures that sustain the content on these
devices (which may be lost regardless of how well a device is working as
databases are removed by defunct companies). I detail some of this in my
piece on mobile repair:

http://continentcontinent.cc/index.php/continent/article/view/275

I'm happy to chat more about any of this if you'd like!
Best,
Jason

--
Jason Farman, Ph.D.
Director, Design Cultures & Creativity Program