[Air-L] Looking for Literature on Immersive Communication

Thomas Ball xtc283 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 14:54:46 PDT 2018

Natasha Dow Schüll is a cultural anthropologist and associate professor in
the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University.
Her first book, *ADDICTION BY DESIGN: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas*
(Princeton University Press 2012), draws on extended research among
compulsive gamblers and the designers of the slot machines they play to
explore the relationship between technology design and the experience of
addiction* (i.e., the relationships between immersive environments and the
regulation of euphoric psychological states of flow, comment added)*. Her
next book, *KEEPING TRACK: Sensor Technology, Self-Regulation, and the
Data-Driven Life* (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, under contract), concerns
the rise of digital self-tracking technologies and the new modes of
introspection and self-governance they engender.

from Dr Schüll's website: https://www.natashadowschull.org/

Check out her website for articles and papers specifically focused on
immersive *communication*.