[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

Casey Lynn Fiesler Casey.Fiesler at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jul 13 10:25:09 PDT 2018

Particularly given the kinds of  concerns Rebecca has brought up, keep in mind that another option is to ask permission to publish content, or to ask whether they would like their handle included or not. If it’s a small number this might not be very arduous. You then might choose to include content if you don’t hear back from them - that you’re only checking for people who express discomfort. Here is a paper with an ethical considerations section at the end where they explain a process like this:
http://jesspater.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Hunger-Hurts-but-Starving-Works.pdf

Casey

On Jul 13, 2018, at 10:52 AM, Hayes, Rebecca M <hayes2r at cmich.edu<mailto:hayes2r at cmich.edu>> wrote:

Also I, of course, considered more than "it is public" but extensively whether I think it causes harm either way.

Thanks Again,

Becky

________________________________
From: Air-L <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org<mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org>> on behalf of Hayes, Rebecca M <hayes2r at cmich.edu<mailto:hayes2r at cmich.edu>>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 6:43:02 PM
To: Jacobs, Naomi; air-l at listserv.aoir.org<mailto:air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
Subject: Re: [Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

I really appreciate this discussion. It has helped me think through a lot. At first I had deleted all names. But I want to clarify that I am using tweets as examples in my book, for discussions
of particular hashtags. In all there are 12 tweets. All of them are demonstrating an example, and in a positive light. After these discussions we chose to delete the one example that was critical.

My main concern after all of this discussion and why I think I should include the names (in this case), is because who am I to not cite other peoples work? It airs on plagirism if I do not. And as academic I think we often fall into a paternalistic mindset thinking we know better than people about what they want or what they know. This is a public forum and we have to expect and respect that they know that, and in my case none of the public tweets I am using are presenting the users in negative ways (that I know of). This was such a hard decision to make!

Again thank you. This has been a very helpful discussion and I think that context matters in every one of these decisions.

Best,
Becky