[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

Craig Hamilton Craig.Hamilton at bcu.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 12:32:28 PDT 2018

This is a great discussion, and I’m glad to be part of it. It occurs to me that the fact people on this list in particular don’t have a hard and fast answers demonstrates what a tricky issue this is. I don’t have the answer either, but for what its worth I can share my own approach and thoughts.

I’ve collected from Twitter and other social media channels for a project dating back to 2013. The tweets in my particularly instance are volunteered to a specific, unique hashtag (#harkive), rather than harvested from keywords. Even so, I’ve taken the decision not to use usernames in articles/chapters/presentations. I provide a way via my project website for people to have their data permanently removed but, as I guess we all know, anyone who enters the text of a tweet into Google will almost certainly be able to find the original author if they want to. Once a tweet and/or a username is printed in a physical book, or a PDF made available online, then I would see that as beyond my control - in other words, removing a tweet from my database would not remove it from the copies in circulation. My feeling is that excluding usernames mitigates potential risks somewhat, but it doesn’t remove those risks entirely. If I were working with data harvested from keywords - and if consent had not been given - then I would have misgivings about both verbatim quotes and usernames, and certainly if the subject matter of the tweets and/or article had any obvious potential to cause harm.

Kind regards
Craig