[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

QCENTRAL qcentral at indiana.edu
Sat Jul 14 05:44:37 PDT 2018

Hey all,
Really enjoying this thread.

There’s a great presentation by Melissa Cheyney and Lisa Leventhal, offered by Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research, called “Reviewing Research on Data from Social Media Posts: When is it Within our Scope?”

https://youtu.be/hpqgTp9qlJY

Their presentation does a very nice job of outlining ways to think through when, how, if you deanonymize people’s social media posts.

TL;DR (from a person who spends a LOT of time thinking about this):
Funny to see this conversation seem so fresh…we’ve been thinking about this for a long time and there’s a ton of established norms at our fingertips, including the ethics docs written by AoIR. But, definitely, this stuff can be hard. There isn’t one right answer. Every research question will come with its set of ethical concerns.

For me, the quickest route to figuring out what to do with any online data is to ask myself “Who benefits from what I do?” For researchers doing scholarship in the public’s interest (e.g., if you’re a student or faculty member at an institution of higher ed or organization meant to serve the public interest or want your research to contribute to our understanding of the world), then, first and foremost, the people we involve in our research—willingly, we hope, but sometimes caught in our dragnets—get first dibs on benefits.

At the very least, our obligation is to respect people’s autonomy—their right to choose—and do our best not to introduce more risks to their lives because they participated in our research. Once their needs are met, all other stakeholders—from the individual researcher and her institution/company to Science (!) get to benefit. So, if I list a person’s Twitter handle because Twitter’s TOS says that I should, who benefits? Does the participant, first and foremost benefit or, at least, not suffer from my decision, especially if I had no way to give them a say in the matter? That’s one way to approach these questions. For me, it’s the best way to know that I’m always advancing the interests of the human participant over my own interests (and that’s my obligation as a researcher…if I want to advance my own interests first I should probably not be a researcher for the public interest).

For those who might say “but I can’t find out if someone wants to be a part of my research from scraping their tweets?” I’d say: yep. That’s an ethical dilemma that sprouts from your methodology. So, what are you going to do to at least try to respect this human being providing you awesome tweets for analysis?” One easy thing we can do: don’t name them in ways that set them up for Doxxing, even if you don’t think they should care about that or that it’s likely to happen (you don’t know if they have ex-lovers stalking them who’d love to have their name in your pub to add further flames to the fire). At the very least ask: “who benefits from me listing their Twitter handle?” If they aren’t at the top of the list, then there’s work to do to make sure they aren’t taking the fall when other people advance from the use of their names.

Stopping there.
: )

Mary

-- --
Mary L. Gray
Senior Researcher and Ethics Advisory Board Chair
Microsoft Research

Associate Professor
School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Affiliate Faculty of Anthropology, Gender Studies, and The Media School
Indiana University

Fellow
Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society
Harvard University

  1. Re: Including screennames with tweets (Craig Hamilton)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:32:28 +0000
From: Craig Hamilton
This is a great discussion, and I?m glad to be part of it. It occurs to me that the fact people on this list in particular don?t have a hard and fast answers demonstrates what a tricky issue this is. I don?t have the answer either, but for what its worth I can share my own approach and thoughts.

I?ve collected from Twitter and other social media channels for a project dating back to 2013. The tweets in my particularly instance are volunteered to a specific, unique hashtag (#harkive), rather than harvested from keywords. Even so, I?ve taken the decision not to use usernames in articles/chapters/presentations. I provide a way via my project website for people to have their data permanently removed but, as I guess we all know, anyone who enters the text of a tweet into Google will almost certainly be able to find the original author if they want to. Once a tweet and/or a username is printed in a physical book, or a PDF made available online, then I would see that as beyond my control - in other words, removing a tweet from my database would not remove it from the copies in circulation. My feeling is that excluding usernames mitigates potential risks somewhat, but it doesn?t remove those risks entirely. If I were working with data harvested from keywords - and if consen!
t had not
 been given - then I would have misgivings about both verbatim quotes and usernames, and certainly if the subject matter of the tweets and/or article had any obvious potential to cause harm.

Kind regards
Craig