[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

Rongbin Han maplesong at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:56:11 PDT 2018

Thanks everyone for the discussion on this important issue. I just want to
share my two cents as someone who studies social media in authoritarian
regimes. As you will find, I have concerns and questions, but not a
solution. Yet, the discussion on issues like this, though seem trivial to
some, is essential.

As "social scientists," providing as much as information about the citation
seems to be desirable as that makes our research more transparent and
replicable. However, this is not a good option given the ethical
considerations, especially in terms of preserving the privacy of the our
research subjects, who often "participate" in our research involuntarily in
that we cannot obtain their permission before citing them as some
colleagues have pointed out here. The problem is even worse for those who
do research in more constrained environment because (1) data availability
is often a bigger challenge; (2) those who we cite may face more serious
repercussions if their identity is revealed. I have generally tried to
anonymize whoever I quote or cite when the issue at discussion is
considered controversial or politically sensitive. I say "tried" because
first, it is impossible to really anonymize the source if we actually quote
or cite someone whose statement is publicly available, and second, the
journals, book publishers, and the disciplines in general often require us
to at least provide some "identifying information" such as the URL links.
In this regard, my effort might be in vain. However, I still try every time
whenever possible because of the very simple logic--we need to protect our
subjects.

In a sense, people like me are challenging the established norms of
academic research that emphasize the scientific aspect of the process. But
I feel we are obliged to do what we do. After all, even though a particular
statement is there and the social media user put it up voluntarily and does
not mind if people or even the government reads out it, the very fact that
we include it in an academic paper/book (not to say our interpretation and
analysis of it) may change everything. We are singling it out and
highlighting it, thus can potentially catch the attention from the state or
other suppressive or bullying forces. That's why I constantly worry that we
are not doing enough to project who we study.

Thanks to everyone again and I appreciate your input.

Rongbin Han
Assistant Professor
Department of International Affairs
University of Georgia