[Air-L] Facebook scraper for qualitative analysis

S.H. Yu yu.shih.hsuan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:37:50 PDT 2018

Good Day Alexandra,

this python code (a GitHub site
<https://github.com/minimaxir/facebook-page-post-scraper>) had helped a
year ago, but am not fully sure if it runs after many FB API updates; this
code might not export the content of comment (and I have to double-check
some relevant historical threads regarding this in this mailing list). What
is needed here is to set up a facebook developer app, as well as to have
the target facebook group ID, then to create an "app_secret" to iterate the
call without pause. For the desired timeframe, the code specifies too for
you to just fill in. Just drop me a line and I can send you the python code
we have modified.

best regards,
Shih-Hsuan

On 18 July 2018 at 07:39, Paolo Eusebi <paoloeusebi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexandra,
> I don't know if it helps but you can take a look at this:
> http://thinktostart.com/analyzing-facebook-with-r/.
> R can be used also for text analysis and networks.
> Best, Paolo.
>

> Il lun 16 lug 2018, 19:17 Alexandra Bahary <alexandra.bahary at gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > I've been trying to import data form a public Facebook group as dataset,
> > mainly for qualitative analysis. The group includes substantial amounts
> of
> > data with thousands of users. I would need to extract data (posts and
> > comments) for at least a two months period. I was previously using a
> NVivo
> > extension (NCapture) to do so, but Facebook recently changes its API,
> which
> > implies restrictions for dataset import. Tools such as Netvizz don't seem
> > to work at the moment as well.
> >
> > I was wondering if you knew about other ways or ressources to make such a
> > gathering possible.
> >
> > Best,
> > Alexandra

> > http://www.aoir.org/