[Air-L] Call: A (Free) 'Virtual' Panel at PRESENCE 2018: A Discussion About Presence via Telepresence Tech

Matthew Lombard lombard at temple.edu
Mon May 7 06:15:01 PDT 2018

Call for Participation

A (Free) ‘Virtual’ Panel at PRESENCE 2018:
Presence in Practice: A Discussion about Presence via Telepresence Tech

Monday May 21, 2018
4:15 - 5:30 pm (i.e., 16:15 - 17:30) in Prague (GMT+2)
(Find your current local time in Prague here:
https://24timezones.com/world_directory/time_in_prague.php )

Conference details (including program): http://ispr.info

Email your interest in participating by Sunday May 20, 2018

We often joke about how as telepresence scholars we have to travel around the
world - with great financial cost, physical and emotional strain, lost time, and
damage to the environment - to discuss technologies designed to allow people to
avoid having to travel to meet face-to-face. We also take for granted that meeting in
person precludes the participation of those who aren't able to join us in person.

At PRESENCE 2018, the 18th conference of the International Society for Presence
Research (ISPR) in Prague, Czech Republic, we've scheduled a unique panel
discussion designed to consider the current status and future potential of visual
collaboration technologies while we actually use telepresence technology to include
some of our colleagues who can't be in Prague with us.

At 16:15 in Prague on Monday May 21, those physically present at the conference
along with remotely present participants from wherever they are across the globe
will join together in a WebEx “Room” to discuss a series of questions including:

* To what degree are we able to experience social and spatial presence during the
session?

* What are the primary obstacles - in technology, psychology and context - to
experiencing sustained presence?

* Which obstacles are most significant and when if ever can we expect to overcome
them?

* How can/should a virtual component be incorporated into conferences?

* Is a fully "virtual" academic conference possible?

* If so, when can we reasonably expect this to happen?

* And if so, would the benefits necessarily outweigh the drawbacks?

Participation is free and requires only an internet connection.

We would love to have you “there,” so if you’re interested and available, please
send an email message to conference chair and panel moderator Matthew Lombard
at lombard at temple.edu by Sunday May 20, 2018.

--
Matthew Lombard, Ph.D.
Temple University