[Air-L] Memes Globally

Gabriele de Seta notsaved at live.com
Sat May 12 14:05:15 PDT 2018

Dear Cameron,

I have written quite extensively about digital folklore in China - both in academic venues:

de Seta, G. (2014). "Meng? It just means cute": A Chinese online vernacular term in context. M/C Journal, 17(2). Retrieved from http://www.journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/viewArticle/789
de Seta, G. (2016). Neither meme nor viral: The circulationist semiotics of vernacular content. Lexia. Rivista Di Semiotica, 25-26, 463-486.

and shorter essays you can find online:
https://rhizome.org/editorial/2015/feb/4/de-seta/
https://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2016/11/03/the-social-life-of-sad-frogs-or-pepe-goes-to-china/

I also maintain an archive of vernacular content from Chinese digital media platforms:
http://dajiangyou.tumblr.com/ (NSFW)

And have written a few reports on specific genres:
http://newhive.com/notsaved/profile

Lastly, I suggest this reading by Christina Xu:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bmvd74/china-meme-face-a-biaoqing-field-guide

cheers,
Gabriele