[Air-L] Memes Globally

Gabriela Lunardi gabilunardi at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:53:27 PDT 2018

Hi Cameron!

I'm a master's student and my study is focused on Brazilian memes.

I've written this article about one Brazilian meme in particular, Gretchen:
https://medium.com/dmrc-at-large/meet-gretchen-meme-queen-of-the-brazilian-internet-675cf587364

You may find this article about reaction gifs around the world interesting
as well:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/29/upshot/gifs-emotions-by-country.html

The website Know Your Meme (http://knowyourmeme.com/) works as a meme
catalogue and is quite comprehensive, but in my research, I've used another
catalogue that focuses on Brazilian memes, the Meme Museum (
http://www.museudememes.com.br/) - unfortunately this one only in
Portuguese, though.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your search

Cheers :)

On 13 May 2018 at 05:58, Rachael Espinet <raesay2407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Best advice I can give is to look at different Facebook groups/pages
> globally (ie country specific) where memes would be shared.
>

> Regards,
> Rachael Espinet
>
> On Sat, May 12, 2018, 3:28 PM JCL1019 <jcl1019 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Greetings all,
> >
> > I am a doctoral candidate studying memes and meme cultures, but I worry
> > that I have a particularly United States-centric bias to the memes and
> > "memescapes" that I regularly observe and visit. I have done some work to
> > reach out to online communities primarily based in China and Taiwan, but
> > have had mixed results.
> >
> > I am hoping the multinational AoIR community could help me expand my
> scope
> > to include other "memescapes" or even particular memes that members might
> > see as particularly reflective of other national contexts. Are there
> sites
> > or communities specific to national cultures that I should investigate?
> Or
> > are there resources that might compile a variety of resources worth
> > investigating? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Cameron Lindsey!
> > Doctoral Student & Assistant Instructor
> > Managing Editor, *Flow Journal <http://www.flowjournal.org/>*