[Air-L] Software or tool for video analysis, forum-scraping

Roberto de Roock roberto.deroock at gmail.com
Mon May 14 00:00:32 PDT 2018

In terms of video, the best software out there (in my experience) are
Transana (https://www.transana.com/) and ELAN (
https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/).

Both are specifically for video analysis and allow syncing of multiple
video or audio streams. They differ in terms of the types of analysis they
are geared towards.

I prefer Transana as it works well for large data sets so you can code
across files and assemble "collections" of different video segments - so
can do a grounded theory analysis (for example) similar  to what NVIVO
allows. It also has a multiuser version that I am trying out with my team
now (but I'm not terribly impressed so far).

The main appeal of ELAN is that you can code (horizontally) along the video
timeline, which is really nice for detailed multimodal (or multilayered)
data.

You can find some of my writing on using video analysis to examine digital
activity in classrooms, including syncing multiple views (specifically
on-screen and around computers):
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roberto_De_Roock

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,