[Air-L] Short internet ethnography suggestions

Eleanor Marchant eleanor.marchant at csls.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 04:07:33 PST 2018

Hi Everyone!

I have agreed to teach a guest lecture on ethnography for a friend's undergraduate research method course and I'm wondering if people in this group might have suggestions for a really great reading. I really want to give them a reading that is itself an ethnography (rather than being a piece about ethnography or how to do it), and that deals with some aspect of technology or internet and society, perhaps incorporating both online and offline ethnographic methods. Perferably something published in the last 8 years to keep it contemporary. I have tons of favorite ethnographic pieces in this vein, but the problem is most of them tend to be books and I don't think you can get a good feel for these works by just reading one chapter. So does anyone have suggestions about short readings, perhaps, a journal article, that fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Eleanor

ELEANOR R MARCHANT PHD

ConflictNET<https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-and-subject-groups/politics-and-practice-social-media-conflict-conflictnet> Postdoctoral Fellow

Programme in Comparative Media Law & Policy

Centre for Socio-Legal Studies

University of Oxford

Tw: @ermarchant<https://twitter.com/ermarchant>