[Air-L] Facebook Grieving and bereavement

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Wed Oct 24 23:53:11 PDT 2018

One of our MA students interviewed both younger and a couple of older
people regarding their experiences with death and bereavement on FB.  I
summarized some of the points in a forthcoming chapter:
==
Important examples of such courage and resistance are documented by
Astrid Hovde (2016) in her interviews with the bereaved who first
learned of the death of a sibling, close friend, or child through a
hasty posting to their Facebook page from someone seeking to express
condolences.  Certainly, a number of important positives flowed in many
instances from diverse uses of social media in these experiences. But
for six of ten interviewees, multiple aspects of such online grieving
and memorializing were increasingly experienced as fake, as more
self-interested expressions from persons who paid no attention to them
in their offline encounters (Hovde 2016, 101). Not surprisingly, several
found that grieving required the embodied co-presence of others – family
and close friends – who could hold and comfort them in their deepest
moments of sorrow and anguish.  The sharp contrast between these online
and offline experiences inspired two interviewees (“Sophie” and
“Elisabeth”) to dramatically reduce their use of Facebook (Hovde 2016,
51-59) – a form of courageous resistance and disobedience to prevailing
norms, especially for young people in Norway who are among the most
active users of social media.  These turns away from social media were,
however, necessary in order to confront the deeply existential
experiences of loss, and to then take these up, in Jaspers’ and Arendt’s
terms, as limit-situations that open up new possibilities for us
(natality) – specifically as they found therein ways of moving into new
stages of independence and relationship.
==

The thesis is publicly available:
Hovde, Astrid Linnea Løland. 2016. Grief 2.0: Grieving in an Online
World. MA thesis, Department of Media and Communication, University of
Oslo.
<https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/52544/Hovde-Master-2016.pdf?sequence=5>

Additional resources can be found via the Death Online Research Symposia
(DORS) and the work of its participants - certainly including Larissa
Hjorth and Katie Cumiskey, as Larissa noted.
The group has a FB page (of course):
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeathOnlineResearch/?multi_permalinks=1076644705844646%2C1075485012627282%2C1075441515964965&notif_id=1535339058151279&notif_t=group_activity>

I would search for the work of Stine Gotved;
Elaine Kasket (_All the Ghosts in the Machine: Illusions of Immortality
in the Digital Age_, now on Amazon);
dorthe refslund christensen;
Ylva Hård af Segerstad and her work on bereaved parents' use of FB,
e.g.,

Bereaved Parents’ Online Grief Communities: De-Tabooing Practices or
Relation-Building Grief-Ghettos?
Dorthe Refslund Christensen, Ylva Hård af Segerstad, Dick Kasperowski &
Kjetil Sandvik
Pages 58-72 | Published online: 07 Mar 2017
https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2016.1273929

A community for grieving: Affordances of social media for support of
bereaved parents
Y Hård Af Segerstad, D Kasperowski
New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia 21 (1-2), 25-41

I can only echo and reiterate the importance of the work of Amanda
Lagerkvist and her colleagues, as Amanda has helpfully noted.

Hope this is of some help - great query, obviously!

best,
- charles ess