[Air-L] tenure track associate professorship (W2) in Digital Geography; University of Erlangen-Nürnberg (Germany)

Glasze, Georg georg.glasze at fau.de
Tue Sep 11 08:52:27 PDT 2018

Dear all,

we are currently advertising a tenure track associate professorship (W2) in Digital Geography within an interdisciplinary cluster on digital transformation (see official website of the university: https://www.fau.eu/university/careers-at-fau/professorships/#collapse_1 ; closing date: 22nd of October!).

The Institute of Geography in Erlangen is one of the biggest Institutes of Geography in the German speaking academia. In rankings of research and teaching performances the Institute frequently reaches top positions (see: https://www.geography.nat.fau.eu/research/). Our main research areas in cultural/human geography are embedded in a conceptual framework, which is captioned by "Contested Geographies". From this perspective, "we conceive and analyse geographies as 'cultural', that is to say as socially constituted, negotiated and thus often controversial". The Friedrich-Alexander-University of Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) is one of the leading research universities in Germany and the second largest full-university in Bavaria with an extraordinary broad range of disciplines (see: https://www.fau.eu/). Digital Transformation has been defined as one of the "key research areas" of the FAU bringing together researchers from the social sciences, law, economy, ethics, computer sciences, digital humanities, engineering etc.

Our location in Erlangen is an attractive, quite international, lively and bike-oriented southern German university town with a little more than 100,000 inhabitants and roughly 30.000 students. A short 20-min rail- or bus-trip away, Nürnberg (or "Nuremberg") with more than half a million inhabitants is the centre of one of the largest metropolitan areas in southern Germany and offers diverse cultural activities. At Erlangen's and Nürnberg's doorsteps, the Franconian Switzerland as well as the Franconian lakes provide for many leisure opportunities of mid-range mountains (climbing, walking, biking/mountain biking, canoeing, cross country skiing etc.). Erlangen and Nürnberg are very well connected with Intercity Express trains to Munich (approx. 1,5 h to the south) and Berlin (approx. 3h to the north). Nürnberg has an international airport with connections to many major European cities.

We seek to appoint an expert who will develop an internationally visible research and teaching profile in cultural/human geography. Applications are welcome from qualified scientists researching the role of digital data in processes of socio-spatial transformation and investigating the causes and effects of advanced datafication. The professor is expected to focus on and expand methods of gathering, processing and analysing geodata. In addition to strengthening research into digitalisation in the field of cultural/human geography, it is desirable that the professor can create connections towards other major research focus areas in cultural/human geography at FAU, in particular urban studies.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. Also, please feel encouraged to distribute widely!

Best wishes,

Georg

Prof. Dr. Georg Glasze
Lehrstuhl für Kulturgeographie
Institut für Geographie
FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
Wetterkreuz 15
D-91058 Erlangen-Tennenlohe
Germany

Tel. (Sekretariat Frau Donner): +49 9131/85-22633
https://www.geography.nat.fau.eu/research/ag-glasze/

08-12 2018 Guest Researcher
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
Department of Geography & Environmental Studies
Carleton University
Ottawa, CA