[Air-L] Seeking Participants for our CSCW Workshop: Solidarity Across Borders

Michaelanne Dye mdye at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 12 12:06:06 PDT 2018

Hi Everyone!

Following Casey Fiesler's earlier email promoting CSCW, I'd like to invite
you to participate in our workshop: Solidarity Across Borders: Navigating
Intersections Towards Equity and Inclusion, which will take place at the
CSCW conference on *Sunday, Nov. 4.*

We seek participation from individuals who engage in research and practice
with marginalized communities, particularly those who pursue research on
feminism, intersectionality, social justice, and global development (be it
in the Global North or South). We also welcome participation from the
broader CSCW community interested in learning more about these topics.

 We are currently accepting submissions and are on a rolling deadline.
Please submit position papers via email to cscwsolidarity at gmail.com by 3 pm
EDT on Friday, September 28, 2018.

There is more info below the fold and more details may be found on our
website: http://cscwsolidarity.com.

Thanks!
Michaelanne Dye
(On behalf of my co-organizers: Neha Kumar, Ari Schlesinger, Marisol
Villacres, Morgan Ames, Rajesh Veeraraghavan, Jacki O'Neill, Joyojeet Pal,
and Mary L. Gray)

More Info:

Potential participants are asked to submit 2-4 page position papers in CHI
extended abstract format <https://sigchi.org/templates/> that that
articulates your positionality, describes your research area, and comments
on how you find yourself in solidarity (or not) with others doing work in
this area. Potential topics include (but are not limited to):

   - Definitions and conceptualizations of marginalization,
   intersectionality, and/or social justice
   - The potential role of solidarity within and across specific research
   areas
   - Vulnerable/marginalized/under-served communities’ experiences of
   information technologies
   - Examples of CSCW work being conducted “at the margins”
   - Work on the intersecting margins of power structures related to
   gender, race, caste, class, etc.
   - Reflections on methods for connecting marginalized communities (and
   researchers) across geographies
   - Original and reflective submissions from all types of scholars and
   practitioners working both in the center and the periphery of the CSCW
   research space who want to foster solidarity

Submissions will be accepted based on the relevance and development of the
chosen topic, as well as their potential to contribute to the workshop
discussions and goals. Papers will be peer-reviewed by the workshop
organizers.

At least one author of each accepted paper will need to register for this
workshop, along with at least one day of the CSCW2018 conference
<https://cscw.acm.org/2018/attend/registration.html>, with the registration
code we will provide. Workshop registrations can always be added via
the RegOnline
portal <https://www.regonline.com/registration/Checkin.aspx?EventID=2158075>,
even after participants have already registered for the conference.
--
*Michaelanne Dye*
*Ph.D. Candidate, Human-Centered Computing*