[Air-L] history of Plato's Phaedrus as example of moral / media panic?

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Wed Apr 24 10:45:44 PDT 2019

Hi Thomas,

thanks, and forgive me for being somewhat vague in this regard.
I'm reluctant to provide specific examples because my intent is not to
develop or direct a critique against specific authors / colleagues, or
even give the impression thereof.  It is rather, as stated, a genuine
concern that I've missed something somehow and am curious about the
history of the trope.

So perhaps a generic description will do?  An author/s seek to build a
case that criticisms of a specific new media technology / use are
somehow off the mark or misleading as the these criticisms can rather be
understood to fit the model of a media panic.  E.g., Tindr and other
hook-up apps are not necessarily the end of real romance and deep
relationships; these reactions are rather a media panic - one that
overlooks several positives uncovered by more careful / empirical analysis.

To be sure, such an account can be built - and, in my reading, often so
- quite carefully and successfully.

Often, these accounts (rightly) draw on Kirsten Drotner's Dangerous
Media? Panic Discourses and Dilemmas of Modernity, Paedagogica
Historica: International Journal of the History of Education, 35:3, 593-619
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0030923990350303
To be explicit, Kirsten does _not_ invoke Plato or the Phaedrus, but
rather begins her exquisite account with panics surrounding print media.
  In addition, building in part on the work of Stanley Cohen (1972),
Kirsten develops a very helpful taxonomy of primary criteria of such panics.

At least on occasion, however, as the argument continues, in providing a
few examples of earlier moral / media panics to helpfully illustrate
what these are, an author will further invoke the mythos of the
invention of writing in the Phaedrus as just such an example of a media
/ moral panic.  Doing so aims at establishing a (broad) conclusion to
the effect that we always panic with the emergence of new media - but
this is more or less absurd, i.e., look at Plato's critique of writing.
By the same token, critiques of new technology X (e.g., Tindr, but the
list is all but endless, of course) are (ridiculous) media / moral
panics and so critiques  of new technology X can be easily dismissed.

(There's a second logical problem in at least some examples of this
argument - namely, the fallacy of affirming the consequent.  Roughly:
If you have a strong example of a moral / media panic --> (then) you
will find X out of Y criteria (as listed by Drotner and/or others).
SO: if I find X out of Y criteria surrounding media coverage of new
technology x --> THEN I can conclude the criticisms included here are
but instances of moral panic and, by implication, deserve no further
attention.
This is a variation of the social science chestnut that correlation does
not equal causation.)

I hope this helps give a better sense of the argument strand / trope I'm
curious about?

Again, many thanks
- c.

c.m.ess at media.uio.no