[Air-L] history of Plato's Phaedrus as example of moral / media panic?

Ricardo Rohm ricardorohm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 04:23:29 PDT 2019

Dear Charles and Air-lists,

Congrats for this insightful discussion! Really.
This made me also think about one of the questions which concerns,
ultimately, "who opened the box first".
I do not know if this one might be the case, but in my life I have
sometimes faced some so-called scientific discourses which seemed to be
entitled with logical meaning, a valid argument or even deductively
achieved by a plettora of "practical examples or personal experiences".
Whatever.
I have also come accross conclusions from reflexions, surveys and essays,
which have been used strategically for important purposes, decision makings
by governments and corporatios. Many of which have lead humanity to misery,
war, suffering, and oppression: yes oppression!

 Citing and refering to famous classical authors in the past ( and still
nowadays) is an interesting habit which goes far beyond than a simpler
meaning of well- established methodological procedures or even research
designs. Beyond also a rhetoric concern or vanity. Indeed, and I repeat, -
I do not know if the present case in the Air-l here discussed might be
considered in my refkexion! -  I cannot avoid but keep wondering:

To whom would it be useful and empowering to cast away important critics on
new technologies, as well as, who "should" be spared of the so-called "weak
and worthless critics",  once someone or some organization (and if
science,.in general is considered, an Institution) decides that these
critics might be nothing but some kind of moral or psychological disorder
or malfunction ?

On the other hand - (and I might share mine with many 😉 ) - what might
motivate the curiosity towards "opening this box of Plato/Socrates" in the
present moment?
Yes, because this is the time when privacy ans other "boxes and caves seem
to be vanishing" , intentionally produced disinformation is compromising
democracy in many countries, and.so on and forth.

In fact, I decided to share my own concerns here with you because, maybe,
someone becomes intetested in producing some research or personal
discussions at some future phisical venue, strengthening memory and bonds,
instead of "writing or computing".

Best regards,

Ricardo Rohm
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro