[Air-L] Plato and writing

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Fri Apr 26 23:19:36 PDT 2019

Thanks for this, Jonathan - first of all, for the occasion to go back to
JD Peters' account of the Phaedrus.  It is more than worth the (re)read
on any number of, in my view, most insightful and richly helpful points
and matters.
In this context, the main point is that while Peters alludes to the
place and influence of the Phaedrus on many accounts of / writers on
communication - he himself (scrupulously) avoids any connection / claim
/ characterization of the critique of writing as a moral / media panic:
FWIW, neither of these terms appear in the book.

Secondly, many thanks for the paper - delicious reading, as a colleague
once said.

Lastly and FWIW, your account of the rise of the trope of Phaedrus as
media panic makes good sense to me.  I'm still curious as to more
specific sources and inspirations - but again, not as a critique thereof
so much as interest in how different writers / scholars develop the
argument.  I've a few promising articles to review that I hope may shed
some light.

Again, a thousand thanks for the excellent tips and elucidation.

best,
- charles