[Air-L] Recommended Readings and Topics for ICTD/ICT4D Course

Rich Canevez rich.canevez at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 11:28:05 PST 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm organizing a course for the Spring semester called "Humanitarian IT",
which will teach the foundations of *information and communication
technology for development* (ICTD/ICT4D) to upper level undergraduates at
Penn State University.

I am preparing a syllabus now, and was wondering whether anyone here has
suggestions for readings that may fit into any of the following topics (or
may suggest a new topic):

1. Political and Financial Foundations of the Aid Industry (and how they
connect to IT)
2. Theoretical Foundations of ICTD, e.g. Capabilities Approach.
3. Designing ICTD, i.e. how technological interventions are built
4. Case Studies, i.e. explorations of approaches undertaken by scholars
targeting certain goals.

Again, any suggestions for readings or topics are welcome, as I'm still
pretty flexible in what I'd like to cover. Thank you all!

~Regards,
--
Richard N. Canevez, (née Caneba)
Penn State University - College of Information Sciences and Technology