[Air-L] Please assist a grad student on using SNA to study pre- and post-disaster social networks? (Yosem Companys)

Sugar, Benjamin N bsugar at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 22 07:23:50 PST 2019

 Is that 100% of geolocated Tweets in the hours before a disaster? That would be an interesting idea, but a tough one to execute.

Stu’s point is very true.  When the GPS data was not available in the Tweet, we used the location field of the Twitter user’s profile and OpenStreetMap’s Nominatim which gives (or used to give) you a probability of where your query was located.

Of course, not all users have an accurate location field,some are jokes or fictitious places (e.g. Hogwarts) but we got enough state level data for a paper out of it.

https://github.com/openstreetmap/Nominatim

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim