[Air-L] Inquiry on screen shots

Virginia Balfour virginiabalfour at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:49:21 PST 2019

Hi
I have also been conducting research looking at Facebook conversations (about the online strategies used by strategic impact documentary to engage its audience in changing behaviours and attitudes).  As part of my ethics approval I had to agree to not use any screen shots of any comments or reactions from the online audience - I had to paraphrase the conversations instead.
In one particular instance this resulted in some of the nuances of a conversation being lost (participants had responded with images rather than comments which are difficult to paraphrase!).
One possible way to have got around this would have been to have sought a variation of the ethics approval to approach the participants and ask for their approval to use the comments. This wasn't something I pursued due to time constraints, but it may be something you could do if you have the time.
Good luck!
Ginny

(HDR candidate, QUT Brisbane).