[Air-L] Inquiry on screen shots

Chris Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:10:28 PST 2019

This is an interesting discussion. I think Virginia Balfour is right (quoted below). There’s no substitute for permission, which may be troublesome due to the nature of the inquiry - are people who comment on revenge porn likely to consent to having their comments be used as part of research?

To me, being published in a research article is different than saying something publicly. If a research article is making a generalization about a practice based on someone’s published comments, doesn’t that add a layer of scrutiny and attention that did not occur in the original context? It seems to me that this ethical concern is greater than the claim that the posts were made publicly.

Although some previously published research probably violates this standard, maybe it’s worth discussing in the methodology section. Even if the posts are all anonymized and paraphrased, the results could be sound research. Looking at (n) posts, 42% used phrases like a, b, and c … the only difference is without the screen shots, a reader of the article would have to go to the website to survey the posts independently.