[Air-L] CFP Workshop: Charting the future of forced migration research in Information Science - Deadline extension

Violeta Trkulja violeta.trkulja at ibi.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 17 02:04:57 PST 2019

*** Deadline extended for contributions to the workshop to January 31st***

Apologies for cross-posting.

This is a call for contributions to the full-day workshop at the *2019
iConference* to be held in Washington, DC, on *Sunday, March 31st, 2019*.

In this workshop, we seek to bring together researchers from the
information fields broadly construed, along with researchers in related
disciplines to showcase the range of areas, practices and methodologies
available to research forced migration. The aim is to introduce our
information science colleagues to research in related disciplines, as
well as acculturate our colleagues from other disciplines into the rich
research context and frameworks in information science.

The workshop will feature a panel, lightning talks and various
engagement sessions. A Special Issue featuring some of the Workshop
contributions will also be produced following the event.

The following two themes will frame the workshop contributions and
discussions:

*Information spaces of refugees*

-Navigating the information environments in new and/or transitional
countries
-Operational knowledge about information practices in different contexts
-Making space for refugees
Evolving services provided by (public) libraries and other information
professionals in the context of forced migration

*Digitally-mediated environments of refugees*

-Information-related skills and strategies that facilitate access to
(and uses of) information
-Role of social media and online spaces in creating/regaining a sense of
place
-Access, accessibility, usability issues in forced migration research
-Credibility and assessment; multilingual interactions; user-generated
content

*Abstract Submission*

The workshop welcomes submissions for presenting a lightning talk of 15
minutes in one of the main themes of the workshop: Information spaces of
refugees and digitally-mediated environments for refugees. Each
lightning talk session will be followed by an interactive engagement
with the audience led by the speaker. When submitting an abstract for a
talk, please state your plan for an interactive session that encourages
audience commentary and engagement. Please plan for no more than 30
minutes. Your submission should include the following things:

-abstract of your lightning talk with up to 300 words
-short description of your audience engagement idea with no more than
200 words.

Please send your submission to
iconf2019-forcedmigrationws at lists.hu-berlin.de

*Important Dates*

-Abstract submission deadline: Jan 31st, 2019
-Notification of acceptance: Feb 15th, 2019

*Knowledge Dissemination – Special Issue of IJIDI*

In addition to the Workshop, we will also produce a Special Issue in the
International Journal for Information, Diversity and Inclusion (IJIDI)
on the theme of the future of forced migration in information science.
We welcome full research papers that make a novel contribution to this
area of research (e.g., empirical, theory-based, methodological,
comparative), and we seek a broad spectrum of submissions from workshop
attendees as well as those who are not able to attend the workshop. The
Special Issue will also have a special section for student work, works
in progress, opinion pieces, and professional reports.

Deadlines for the Special Issue of IJIDI: Extended abstracts of up to
1,000 words for full research papers and up to 500 words for
contributions to the special section are due by April 30, 2019. Authors
will be notified of acceptance by May 30, 2019. The final papers will be
due by October 15, 2019. Publication scheduled for the April 2020 issue.

Organizers

Dr. Juliane Stiller, Berlin School of Library and Information Science,
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany (juliane.stiller at ibi.hu-berlin.de)

Dr. Nadia Caidi, Faculty of Information, University Toronto, Canada
(nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca)

Dr. Violeta Trkulja, Berlin School of Library and Information Science,
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany (violeta.trkulja at ibi.hu-berlin.de)

Dr. Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed, Computer Science, University of Toronto,
Canada (ishtiaque at cs.toronto.edu)

--
Dr. Violeta Trkulja

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Berlin School of Library and Information Science
Sitz: Dorotheenstrasse 26, 10117 Berlin
Post: Unter den Linden 6,  10099 Berlin

Tel: +49 30 2093-70963
Fax: +49 30 2093-70951