[Air-L] Sonic Publics special section is OUT on IJoC!

Elinor Carmi e.carmi at gold.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 06:37:45 PST 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm thrilled to share Aram Sinnriech and my special section on the International Journal of Communication - Sonic Publics.

I met Aram on Twitter (very appropriate for AoIR!) a couple of years ago and coming from the music industry we decided to do this panel around sound and its relation to internet studies at the AoIR 2017 conference at Tartu, Estonia.

As sound studies scholars and music practitioners at the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) annual conference, we experienced a degree of distortion. We tried to tune in to the field’s soundtrack, but there was silence. Although sound technologies, musical cultures, and the practices and subjectivities entangled with them are central to network technologies, internet research has been largely mute on the subject.

This special section aims to reverberate through the field by exploring different channels of sound-related inquiry. We hope the resonance of our work will help to expand the ways in which researchers engage with networked communication, and amplify new paradigms for thinking and researching about media old and new.

Sonic Publics - IJoC<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/issue/view/15> - All articles are open access

Introduction and Audio Transcript<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8618/2536>
<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8618/2536>(https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8618/2536)
Aram Sinnreich, Elinor Carmi

Booming at the Margins: Ethnic Radio, Intimacy, and Nonlinear Innovation in Media<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8591/2537>
(https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8591/2537)
Larisa Kingston Mann

Convening Technologies: Blockchain and the Music Industry<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8590/2538>
<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8590/2538>(https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8590/2538)
Nancy Baym, Lana Swartz, Andrea Alarcon

Music, Copyright, and Technology: A Dialectic in Five Moments<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8587/2539>
<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8587/2539>(https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8587/2539)
Aram Sinnreich

The Hidden Listeners: Regulating the Line from Telephone Operators to Content Moderators<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8588/2540>
<https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8588/2540>(https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/8588/2540)
Elinor Carmi

We had a lot of fun doing this special section and we want to thank our wonderful writers, the peer-reviewers and the amazing Arlene Luck from IJoC for making this possible.

We hope you enjoy listening and tuning into our special section,
All the best,
Elinor and Aram.

Dr. Elinor Carmi,
Postdoc Research Associate - Digital Media & Society,
Department of Communication and Media,
Faculty of the Humanities and Social Sciences,
School of the Arts, Liverpool University, UK.
https://elinorcarmi.com<https://elinorcarmi.com/>
Twitter: @Elinor_Carmi