[Air-L] Air-L Larp about technology?

Martin Zeilinger martin.j.zeilinger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 00:30:46 PDT 2019

Hi Jill and everyone,

I missed a few messages, so this may have been mentioned already:

Ruth Catlow, of Furtherfield <https://furtherfield.org/> (London/UK), has done some interesting LARPing (some of it developed with Ben Vickers, curator of digital at The Serpentine). This was mostly done in the context of art/tech and financial activism, specifically in the ‘crypto’ realm – i.e., LARPs about designing/implementing crypto currencies. In other words, very tech-heavy context, but the LARP offers a way to generalise/abstract that and approach it from a more conceptual angle. I’m not sure to which extent these LARPing efforts are documented online (I know at least one is: it took place at MoneyLab #3 in Amsterdam in 2016). In any case, I could imagine that she’d be willing to share some ideas/materials regarding the process.

I’m currently in early stages developing a series of LARP workshops with Ruth, for participants aged roughly 15-25, on the concept of speculative futures of cashless societies and their community impact.

All best,
Martin

~~~~~
Martin Zeilinger, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Media, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge/UK
Curator, Vector Festival, Toronto/CAN
@mrtnzlngr <https://twitter.com/mrtnzlngr> / marjz.net <https://marjz.net/>