[Air-L] New Paper on Digital Money and Transactional Surveillance

Rachel O' Dwyer rachel.odwyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 03:18:10 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a recent paper I authored for the journal of
cultural economy on transactional surveillance.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17530350.2018.1545243?af=R

Please let me know if you're having trouble accessing and would like a copy,

[abstract:Money is an ‘instrument of collective memory’ before it is a
means of exchange, a unit of account or a store of value. Money’s status as
a memory technology is particularly significant in light of the role that
information and communication technologies now play in economic
transactions. Many of the new channels and infrastructures for payments,
such as magnetic cards, mobile phones, the wired Internet, social media
platforms, and RFID technologies, record detailed transactional data
alongside a range of other identifying data. We now have extremely detailed
records of the many ways that money circulates, is transferred and is
spent. This paper concerns this previously latent transactional data and
how it is currently recorded, monetised, and used to inform action. What
has been recorded in and about money at different moments in time and how
are these categories breaking down? Who has access to and ownership over
this collectively produced record and how is it driving new data practices
and business models based on the monetisation and application of monetary
records? And how might re-engaging with money’s mnemonic status help to
foreground a politics and ethics of transactional data?]

All the best,

Rachel O'Dwyer

--
http://www.rachelodwyer.com/