[Air-L] International Conference on Social Media & Society #SMSociety (Toronto, Canada): Keynotes & Call for Posters, Panels and Workshops (due Mar 18)

agruzd at gmail.com agruzd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:56:38 PDT 2019

***Apologies for cross-posting***

Dear Colleagues,

The organizing committee of the 10th Annual International Conference on
Social Media and Society (#SMSociety) invites you to visit Toronto on July
19-21, 2019. This year's conference will be held at the Ted Rogers School of
Management and hosted by Ryerson University Social Media Lab. The 2019
conference theme is "Rethinking Privacy and Trust in the Social Media Age."

The Conference offers an intensive 3-day program including hands-on
workshops, full & work-in-progress papers, panels, and posters featuring the
latest in social media research. This year, we are honoured to have two
highly distinguished scholars as our keynote speakers:

*	Tarleton Gillespie, a principal researcher at Microsoft Research New
England, and an affiliated professor in the Department of Communication and
Department of Information Science at Cornell University. His new book,
Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden
Decisions that Shape Social Media (Yale University Press) was published in
June 2018.
*	Valerie Steeves, a professor in the Department of Criminology at the
University of Ottawa. As the lead researcher of MediaSmarts' Young Canadians
in a Wired World research project, she has been tracking young people's use
of new media since 2000. She is also the principal investigator of The
eQuality Project, a seven-year partnership exploring young people's
experiences of privacy and equality in networked spaces. More info at:
https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2019/announcement-of-2019-keynotes/

Submission Deadline:

There is still time to submit a poster, panel or hands-on workshop proposal
(due March 18, midnight, Hawaiian time). We hope you consider submitting
your work to the conference and join our community of researchers.  More
info at: https://socialmediaandsociety.org/submit/

If you have any questions, please contact us via email at
ask at socialmediaandsociety.org <mailto:ask at socialmediaandsociety.org>  or on
Twitter at @SocMediaConf <https://twitter.com/SocMediaConf>

--

2019 SMSociety Organizing Committee