[Air-L] History of Computers

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Mon Mar 25 05:43:36 PDT 2019

For the opposite story, try Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet".
https://surveillancevalley.com

After reading it, I can't look at a title mentioning "Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks" without thinking that that book must be totally buying into the mythology and perpetuating fictions.

I'd love to hear what people on this list think about Levine's book - I thought I more or less knew my internet history, but he tells a rather different version. I mean, obviously I knew about DARPA, but Levine has EVERYTHING controlled by DARPA, even the "hackers, geniuses and geeks" and the counterculture stuff, and the commercialization of the 1990s and so on. The book doesn't seem to have any academic reviews, or at least my search only turns up trade press reviews. Does his dystopic rendition of the history of the internet as almost completely controlled by the military and its surveillance and counterinsurgency strategies hold up?

Jill

    The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created
    the Digital Revolution by Walter Isaacson (2015-10-06)

    Not a textbook but a good read.