[Air-L] Special Issue 'Big Data from the South'

Milan, Stefania S.Milan at uva.nl
Mon May 6 15:34:06 PDT 2019

Dear Gimena, we are well aware of the issue, and are trying to find ways out. My university, for one, is actively engaging in strategic litigation to change the system.

Of the special issue, two of the articles are open access, the others have been open-access for about a month when first published. This is what the editor of the journal, the amazing Jonathan Ong (who invited us to put the special issue together following a free-of-charge event in Cartagena, Colombia), negotiated precisely in consideration of the problems you highlight (which, by the way, are spread well beyond the global south).
We are also continuing the conversation in other formats—including a blog and a mailing-list, where the single articles have been advertised to provide open access. We hosted a workshop in December where we spent 90% of the funding in grants for low-income countries and precarious scholars.
That said, there is a lot more work to do and we, like many others, are acutely aware of the problem—and actively disrupting the system, too. PM me.
Best, Stefania