[Air-L] Farmers' use of the internet

Frédéric Dubois frederic.dubois at hiig.de
Mon May 6 23:44:58 PDT 2019

Dear Philippa,

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, as there is little
social media component. But who knows, it's one of our most cited papers
anyway:

Carbonell, I. M. (2016). The ethics of big data in big agriculture. *Internet
Policy Review*, *5*(1). DOI: 10.14763/2016.1.405
https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/ethics-big-data-big-agriculture

As a journal, we're interested by the topic and welcome submissions on a
rolling basis.

Best wishes,

Frédéric
---

Frédéric Dubois | Managing editor
*Internet Policy Review* | policyreview.info

Office hours (public-facing): Mo - Fr, 1pm - 4pm

Publishing institution:
*Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society *
(non-profit limited liability company under German law)

Le mar. 7 mai 2019 à 01:27, Jean Burgess <je.burgess at qut.edu.au> a écrit :

> Hi Philippa
>
> This chapter on the #agchatoz community (which has analogs in other
> countries) might be of interest to you:
>
> Burgess, Jean, Galloway, Anne, & Sauter, Theresa (2015) Hashtag as hybrid
> forum: The case of #agchatoz. In Rambukkana, Nathan (Ed.) Hashtag Publics:
> The Power and Politics of Discursive Networks. Peter Lang, New York, pp.
> 61-76.
>
> Pre-print PDF (with link to digital appendix):
> http://mappingonlinepublics.net/dev/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Burgess-et-al-2015-hashtag-as-hybrid-forum.pdf
>
> On 7/5/19, 8:32 am, "Air-L on behalf of Nathaniel Poor" <
> air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org on behalf of natpoor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Philippa-
>
>     I know that historically there was some early literature about farmers
> and their use of online services (like CompuServe), but as far as I recall
> it was fairly basic, mostly mentioned market-based items (so, prices of
> farmed goods), and may not have been overly academic. It may have been more
> along the lines of, “Hey! Computers! Modems! Look even farmers use it!”
> (This is also all US-based.)
>
>     I stuck this into Google Scholar and got some results: compuserve
> farmers videotex
>
>     The historical angle may not be what you are looking for, but could
> serve as background lit or maybe you can cite-crawl forward in time.
>
>     HTH!
>
>     -Nat
>
>     -------------------------------
>     Nathaniel Poor, Ph.D.
>     http://github.com/natpoor
>     http://natpoor.blogspot.com/
>     http://sites.google.com/site/natpoor/
>     http://www.underwood-institute.org/
>
>     > On May 6, 2019, at 5:03 PM, Philippa Smith <philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz>
> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Everyone
>     >
>     > This question might be a bit unusual - but the AOIR community is
> always so accommodating and if you don't ask you might never know.
>     >
>     > I'm interested to find out if there are any studies or academic
> literature about farmers' use of the internet and social media particularly
> in relation to the management of their farms and the implementation of
> biodiversity strategies.  In other words, I'm looking to assess farmers'
> uptake of the internet/social media either for knowledge building or for
> connecting with others in their community either for support or information
> gathering.   Any information about digital tools that are being used eg
> apps, websites would also be of interest to me. Clearly this is only going
> to apply to farmers who have internet access - particularly when they are
> located rurally.
>     >
>     > Looking forward to your replies!
>     >
>     > Kind regards
> [...]

 <http://www.hiig.de/>Alexander von Humboldt Institut für Internet und
Gesellschaft gGmbH
Französische Straße 9 · 10117 Berlin
T +49 30 200 760
82 · F +49 30 206 089 60 ·  www.hiig.de <http://www.hiig.de/>

<http://www.facebook.com/HIIG.Berlin>    <https://twitter.com/hiig_berlin>
  <https://www.instagram.com/hiigberlin/>

Gesellschaftssitz Berlin |
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg | HRB 140911B |  USt-ID DE  291 151 171

Forschungsdirektorium: Prof. Dr. Jeanette Hofmann (Geschäftsführung) ·
Prof. Dr. Dr. Ingolf Pernice ·
Prof. Dr. Björn Scheuermann · Prof. Dr. Dr.
Thomas Schildhauer · Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulz  |  Geschäftsführung: Dr.
Karina Preiß