[Air-L] Query on supportive teen online affinity groups

Cecilia Aragon aragon at uw.edu
Fri May 31 17:47:25 PDT 2019

Hi Mimi,

I have a suggestion for your second question but not your first. Over the
last five years, my colleague Katie Davis and I, along with our students,
have been researching a group of millions of overwhelmingly female and
nonbinary teens who contribute to online fanfiction repositories, often
rewriting mainstream stories to reflect their own lived experience. In the
process, these frequently marginalized teens develop identity, improve
their writing skills, and find community and support.

The numbers involved are staggering. On one fanfiction site alone, young
people with a median age of 16 have published over 61.5 billion words of
fiction in the past twenty years. For contrast, the Google Books English
fiction corpus, covering the past five centuries, contains 80 billion words.

But what's even more interesting is how these young people are both
teaching and learning from each other, via a process facilitated by
networked publics that we've come to call *distributed mentoring*.

Fanfiction has frequently not been taken seriously, but Katie and I believe
it's become a crucially important outlet for marginalized teens in
particular. If this is interesting to you, we have a webpage
<https://depts.washington.edu/hdsl/research/distributed-mentoring/> on our
research and a book
<http://ceciliaaragonauthor.com/writers-in-the-secret-garden/>, *Writers in
the Secret Garden*, coming out from MIT Press in August.

Best regards,
Cecilia

--
Cecilia R. Aragon, Professor
Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering, University of