[Air-L] Tik Tok

Jill Walker Rettberg Jill.Walker.Rettberg at uib.no
Mon Nov 4 05:05:20 PST 2019

There is some research on Musical.ly, which was bought by ByteDance in November 2017 and rebranded as Tik Tok. Tik Tok has more "memes" as my 11-year-old describes them (jokes, reenactments of skits to a fixed soundtrack) whereas Musical.ly had more of an emphasis on lipsyncing (reenactments of lipsynced songs to a fixed soundtrack) but the basic affordances of the platform are more or less the same.

Şimşek, Burcu, Crystal Abidin, and Megan Lindsay Brown. ‘Musical.ly and Microcelebrity Among Girls’. In Microcelebrity Around the Globe, edited by Crystal Abidin and Megan Lindsay Brown, 47–56. Emerald Publishing Limited, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1108/978-1-78756-749-820181004.

Rettberg, Jill Walker. ‘Hand Signs for Lip-Syncing: The Emergence of a Gestural Language on Musical.ly as a Video-Based Equivalent to Emoji’. Social Media + Society 3, no. 4 (24 October 2017). https://doi.org/10.1177/2056305117735751.

Jill