[Air-L] Welcome to Brisbane! AoIR 2019 Conference

Jonathon Hutchinson jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au
Mon Sep 30 21:10:50 PDT 2019

Dear AoIR 2019 Attendees,

We are almost ready for this week’s Trust in the System #AoIR2019 conference in Brisbane!

While many of you have already arrived on our shores, many are still in transit, some are attending the first of the satellite events, and some of us are making the final local preparations. Regardless of your current status, we are very excited to welcome you all to Brisbane for what promises to be an amazing week of conversations and exchange.

There are a few things we would like to bring to your attention as you prepare for AoIR this week.

1.     If you are arriving at the QUT campus and need to take a taxi/Uber to QUT Gardens Point, probably best to go to the drop-off point in front of Queensland Parliament. Then walk down the pedestrian road into campus.

2.     The local committee has developed a Code of Conduct for this year’s conference. Could you all please familiarise yourself with this prior to commencing any AoIR activities this week: https://members.aoir.org/AoIR2019CodeofConduct

3.     There have been a few last-minute changes to the Program. Could you all please look over the program and make sure these changes do not impact you directly (if there are any problems, please let me know immediately): https://www.conftool.org/aoir2019/index.php?page=browseSessions

4.     While many will tell you pavlova is an Australian thing, it originated in New Zealand [https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/jacinda-arderns-fiance-calls-out-australia-for-ripping-off-nz-pavlova/news-story/fa1d3f9a095956853e9b3df8c9b97cbd]

5.     Don’t forget about our extensive social program [https://aoir.org/aoir2019/excursionsforaoir2019/]! Ariadna Matamoros Fernandez and Elija Cassidy are taking care of the Paddle and Prawns events, and Michael Dezuanni will take care of all of your koala exploration needs.

6.     If you need any information about our local area, please refer to this page: https://aoir.org/aoir2019/traveling-to-brisbane/

7.     Our mobile app version of the program is now live and available here: https://aoir2019.sched.com/

8. Please wear your name badge to ALL #AoIR2019 events. The catering staff will look for these to confirm you should be involved in the event.

9. If you are presenting and you are using your own device for a presentation it is your responsibility to bring any necessary adapters to connect to HDMI. All the QUT classrooms are HDMI only.

10. Registration is located in P block, 5th level, from 8am on Wednesday.

We are looking forward to seeing you all soon and welcoming you to Brisbane.

Warm regards

Jonathon Hutchinson

On behalf of the AoIR 2019 Organising Committee

DR JONATHON HUTCHINSON | Lecturer Online Communication and Media
Department of Media and Communication | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
HDR Coordinator
Treasurer of Australian and New Zealand Communication Association (ANZCA)
Secretary of International Association of Public Media Research (IAMPR)
Programme Chair of 2019 Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) Conference

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm N233, John Woolley Building (A20) | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 2821  | F +61 2 9351 2434  | M +61 421 178 971
E jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au<mailto:jonathon.hutchinson at sydney.edu.au>  | W sydney.edu.au<http://sydney.edu.au> | W jonathonhutchinson.com.au<http://www.jonathonhutchinson.com.au/>