[Air-L] Help in syllabus about New Media and Collective Intelligence

mgoyam at yahoo.com mgoyam at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 20:02:49 PDT 2019

Dear Fen, Valeria, David, and Samantha,
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I will check them out right away
What I try to show my students is the possibilities and some actual cases of collective intelligence  (for this I also use Jenkin's Convergence Culture, paired with Tapscott's Wikinomics and the open source movement) and contrasting this with cases in which the collective action does not result in something intelligent -as David said-, for this I touch on experiments in which the crowd of the wisdom fails such as Lorenz et al. How social influence can undermine the wisdom of crowd effect, along with  Terranova's Free Labor, and Lunenfeld's The secret war between uploading and downloading. Then, for alternative ideas about collective intelligence, we read the classic science fiction story First Men from Howard Fast.
I am sure your suggestions will enrich my course and my understanding of the subject, thanks!!!!
I'm posting all the recommendations that I received, thanks for sharing:

- Lih (Andrew), The Wikipedia Revolution. How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World?s Greatest Encyclopedia, London, Aurum, 2009 and Reagle (Joseph), Good Faith Collaboration. The Culture of Wikipedia, Cambridge, The MIT Press, 2010.

- A video of Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia:  The Impact of Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales
- The frequently cited study from the academic journal Nature (2005) that compares Wikipedia and Encyclopaedia Britannica, and emphasises that
  the two encyclopedias are equivalent in quality: Internet encyclopaedias go head to head
  - Surowiecki (James), The Wisdom of Crowd. Why the Many are Smarter than the Few and How Collective Wisdom Shapes Business, Economies, Societies and Nations, New York, Doubleday, 2004, pp. XIII-XI- Attacks on minorities in German towns correlated with Facebook utilization. https://www.amazon.com/Zucked-Waking-Up-Facebook-Catastrophe-ebook/dp/B07FC5BZYV/ref=sr_1_1, New hope for humans in an A.I. world | Louis Rosenberg | TEDxKC- Jenkins' Convergence Culture to explain the difference between collective intelligence and the wisdom of the crowd.- Fenwick McKelvey, Internet Daemons. https://internetdaemons.com.
Mariana

@MGMideas

Comunicación y Tecnología http://mg-comtec.blogspot.com

- The Emulation of Emotions in Artificial Intelligence: Another Step into Anthropomorphism
- Contextual priming effects in the reception and evaluation of news events

- Hypertextual Networks of Concepts in Academic Writing
- Whose space is MySpace?
Amor al cine http://filmamour.blogspot.com