[Air-L] Definition of technology?

Neal Thomas neal at hivemedia.ca
Thu Apr 9 02:48:59 PDT 2020

Hi Ana;

Here are some more suggestions to help you develop a general position towards technology in your work.

Best,
Neal

___________
Neal Thomas
CAS Instructor | Dept. of Communication Studies
Laurier University | Waterloo, ON Canada
Out in 2018 with Routledge: Becoming-Social in a Networked Age
Twitter: @lathemason

Culture and Technology: A Primer
Jennifer Daryl Slack, John Macgregor Wise

The social shaping of technology
Donald A. MacKenzie, Judy Wajcman

Shaping Technology/building Society
Studies in Sociotechnical Change
Wiebe E. Bijker, John Law

The Social Construction of Technological Systems
New Directions in the Sociology and History of Technology
Wiebe E. Bijker, Thomas Parke Hughes, Trevor J. Pinch

Philosophy of Technology
The Technological Condition - An Anthology
Robert C. Scharff, Val Dusek

Questioning Technology
Andrew Feenberg

Technosystem
Andrew Feenberg

Meaning in Technology
Arnold Pacey

Technics and Civilization
Lewis Mumford

Technics and Time: The fault of Epimetheus
Bernard Stiegler

Technics and Time: Disorientation
Bernard Stiegler, Stephen Barker

The Whale and the Reactor: A Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology
Langdon Winner

Materialist Media Theory: An Introduction
Grant Bollmer

Exceptional Technologies
A Continental Philosophy of Technology
Dominic Smith

Gilbert Simondon
Information, Technology and Media
Simon Mills

Control: Digitality as Cultural Logic
Seb Franklin

Reassembling the Social
An Introduction to Actor-Network-Theory
Bruno Latour

Human-Machine Reconfigurations
Plans and Situated Actions
Lucy Suchman

Bodies in Technology
Don Ihde

Transforming Technology
A Critical Theory Revisited
Andrew Feenberg

How We Became Posthuman
Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics
N. Katherine Hayles

We Have Never Been Modern
Bruno Latour

Technology and the lifeworld: from garden to earth
Don Ihde

Technology and the Character of Contemporary Life: A Philosophical Inquiry
Albert Borgmann

Autonomous Technology Technics-out-of-control as a Theme in Political Thought
Langdon Winner

Dear AoIRs,

I am a migration and border studies scholar researching how technologies
(from mobile phones to drones to databases) affect migration journeys. I am
not familiar with STS scholarship and I was hoping you could help by
pointing me to some (seminal?) works that might help me formulate an
all-encompassing definition of technology (or a theoretical approach to
it), beyond ICTs?i.e. one that includes biometrics, information exchange
databases, but also material objects like drones, and/or one that addresses
both technology ?used by? as well as technology ?used on.?

Many thanks in advance,

Ana