[Air-L] : question on data policy for research on extremist social media content

Fiona Bradley fionabradleyau at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:25:13 PDT 2020

Hi Catherine and all,

I agree with others that this varies greatly depending on where you are. In Australia, this is in law rather than in policy. Removing “abhorrent violent material” was included in the criminal code following the Christchurch shooting last year, although the scope of content included is quite broad. However, accessing such material for research purposes is a permitted defence.

I touched on this briefly in a conference paper last year: http://library.ifla.org/id/eprint/2588 <http://library.ifla.org/id/eprint/2588> and you can find the legislation here: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019A00038 <https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019A00038>

Thanks,
Fiona Bradley
PhD Candidate, Political Science and International Relations
University of Western Australia
Twitter: @fiona_bradley
ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3622-2794 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3622-2794>