[Air-L] CFP: Live Streaming Culture collection

Christopher Persaud christopherjpersaud at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 13:55:09 PDT 2020

Dear all,

A reminder as the deadline is approaching, we are soliciting abstracts for
a proposed edited volume, "Live Streaming Culture", edited by Johanna
Brewer, Bo Ruberg, Amanda L. L. Cullen, and Christopher Persaud.

The full CFP is in the body of the email below and also available at the
link here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J8W7er3wrnNNxS98EoyJwCBZ60sCtnqbAZ1ikqYBkL8/edit

The general deadline for abstracts of 300-500 words is July 17. We know
these are challenging times and we are willing to work with potential
contributors on deadlines.

Please feel free to send a quick query with questions to Johanna Brewer (
johanna at anykey.org) and Bo Ruberg (bruberg at uci.edu).

We appreciate you passing along this CFP to anyone who might be interested.

Best,

Johanna, Bo, Amanda, and Christopher

------------------

Live Streaming Culture

Abstract Deadline: July 17, 2020

Contact: Johanna Brewer (johanna at anykey.org) and Bo Ruberg (bruberg at uci.edu)

Editors: Johanna Brewer, Bo Ruberg, Amanda L. L. Cullen, and Christopher
Persaud

Live streaming is a rapidly growing phenomenon that is having profound
effects on the contemporary landscape of digital media, entertainment, and
online culture. Across the internet, live streaming takes an array of
forms: from gaming-focused sites like Twitch and Mixer, where millions of
viewers watch live video gameplay, to social media sites like Facebook and
YouTube, where streamers translate their day-to-day lives into broadcasts.

As with all technological platforms, live streaming is deeply shaped by
(and also itself actively shapes) broader cultural issues.

This edited volume will take an interdisciplinary approach to the study of
cultural issues in live streaming. Examples of topic areas include but are
not limited to: identity, community, power, access, aesthetics, gender,
sexuality, race, disability, discrimination, harassment, politics, and
activism. While important fundamental work on live streaming has been done
by game studies scholars like T. L. Taylor, Mia Consolvo, and Will Partin
(among many others), this collection will expand that research to a broader
network of questions around the relationship between live streaming and
society.

We understand live streaming to encompass many forms of real-time
broadcasting online such as: Just Chatting streams on Twitch, social eating
on YouTube, live music on Facebook, webcam modeling on MyFreeCams, as well
as video and analog gameplay.

Scholars, methods, and perspectives from across disciplines are all
welcome, as long as they are rooted in the cultures, human experiences, and
histories that surround live streaming.

Contributions from non-academics, including streamers and community
organizers, are also encouraged.

Contributions may take one of the following general formats:

   - Academic article written for an interdisciplinary audience. Accessible
   writing is appreciated.
   - First-person account of experiences with streaming or streaming
   communities.
   - Q&A-style interview with live streamers or others involved in live
   streaming cultures.
   - Research- or experience-based call to action, such as arguments for
   new approaches to design, community management, or platform policy.

Abstracts of 300-500 words are due by July 17, 2020 and can be submitted to
the contact address above. Authors can expect to hear back regarding
abstracts by August 14. Full paper submissions of 3,000 - 5,000 words will
be due December 18. Any citation style is acceptable for abstracts.

We know these are challenging times and we are willing to work with
potential contributors on deadlines. If you have questions, please feel
free to send a quick query to Johanna Brewer (johanna at anykey.org) and Bo
Ruberg (bruberg at uci.edu).