[Air-L] Call for Papers: PRESENCE 2020

Matthew Lombard mlombard61 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:45:23 PDT 2020

CALL FOR PAPERS

PRESENCE 2020
18th conference of the International Society for Presence Research (ISPR;
http://ispr.info/)
Online + Synchronous
October 23, 2020
https://ispr.info/call-presence-2020

Conference theme: Presence during and after the pandemic

The 18th PRESENCE conference will take place as a one-day, fast-track
online conference. All presence topics are also welcome but submissions
related to early phase projects, papers, and studies about the impacts of the
pandemic on presence phenomena now and in the years ahead are
particularly encouraged.

The 19th PRESENCE conference will take place next fall 2021 in Orlando
that was originally planned this year.

* Submission deadline: August 20, 2020 (with some flexibility - email the
conference chair at lombard at temple.edu if you need a few extra days)

* Online submissions should be submitted via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=p2020

* Notification of acceptance decisions: September 10, 2020

* Finished, camera-ready papers due: October 10, 2020

PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT BY SHARING THIS CALL FOR
PAPERS

OVERVIEW

Telepresence, often shortened to presence, is a state or perception in which
we overlook or misconstrue the role of technology and feel present in the
environments and/or connected to the people or things we experience via
technology. It´s increasingly relevant to a wide range of media experiences
and application areas.

Following a series of17 successful Presence conference events,
PRESENCE 2020 will retain the single-track format and enjoyable social
environment of previous conferences while featuring an expanded variety of
paper and poster sessions, panel discussions, keynote presentations,
hands-on demonstrations of presence applications/services/projects, and
informal discussion, networking and fun. Members of both academic and
industry communities are welcome.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES

The term presence has many formal and informal meanings but is used by a
growing interdisciplinary scholarly community to refer to experiences in which
technology is overlooked or misconstrued in some way during a mediated
experience. Long a focus of those who study virtual reality and
environments, it´s increasingly relevant to a wide range of media
experiences. For example, presence occurs when we get "lost" in the world
of a novel, TV show, movie, video game or theme park ride; we´re convinced
by the realism of paintings or graphic designs; we treat our cars, computers
or other machines as if they have personalities of their own, and we feel like
we´re "with" a person we talk to on the phone or in a video conference.

The presence research community has been working to identify causes,
characteristics and consequences of diverse presence experiences. The
consequences identified so far - including arousal/relaxation, empathy,
enjoyment, persuasion and more - make clear the importance and power of
presence to improve communication across a wide variety of contexts and
applications of interest to scholars and those who create media technologies
and content. Presence as a concept and set of phenomena is related to the
work being done in nearly every field and business sector from art to
zoology, with particularly direct applications in business, education,
entertainment and health. The 4000+ posts in ISPR Presence News
(http://ispr.info/posts) and thousands more on its predecessor, the presence-l
listserv (http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/presence-l.html), along with the
Presence Bibliography on the ISPR website (http://ispr.info/), illustrate the
breadth of presence applications, and the breadth, depth and value of
presence scholarship.

The objectives of the conference are to deepen and update the knowledge of
those already familiar with presence and introduce new scholars and
practitioners to the centrality, pervasiveness, and value of presence
phenomena, theory and research.  The overarching goal is to help integrate
and increase collaborative scholarship on presence.

SUBMISSIONS

Topics

We seek original, high quality papers and demonstrations that contribute to
our collective understanding of presence phenomena and applications in
any/every aspect of life. Topics of interest include (but are absolutely not
limited to):

* Presence theory
* Measures of presence
* Presence and emotion
* Presence and education
* Presence and social interaction
* Gender and Presence
* Neuroscience approaches to Presence
* Presence in gaming and entertainment
* Philosophical perspectives on presence
* Ethics of presence
* Presence technologies and applications (e.g. in business, arts, medicine
and therapy)
* The future of presence research

Theme: Presence during and after the pandemic

Presence experiences were already becoming more common in many
aspects of life before the Coronavirus pandemic, but the current crisis has
vastly accelerated the need and desire for effective presence experiences
and creative progress in the uses of technology to create them. All-online
teaching at every level of education, virtual graduation ceremonies, working
from home via online platforms, live streaming of music concerts and theater
performances, virtual travel experiences, virtual business and academic
conferences, and so much more represent huge changes for societies,
organizations and individuals regarding presence. If ever there was an
appropriate group to explore these changes and their implications for the
future it's the presence community. Individual descriptive, research, theory,
or position papers as well as dedicated panels related to this theme are
encouraged. ISPR will also organize a session in which we trial and discuss
the characteristics of a variety of social presence platforms (e.g. Zoom,
WebEx, Teams, Discord, Mozilla Hubs, etc), with the goal of producing a
co-authored publishable paper outlining our conclusions about their
strengths and weaknesses in producing effective presence experiences.
[NOTE: Submissions on the previously announced Theme 2 below are still
welcome!]

Theme 2: The world of presence

Presence experiences are becoming more common in more aspects of life
for more and more people around the world. These experiences have the
potential to bring diverse individuals, groups and nations together but also
isolate them in their own mediated realities. What are the contours of
presence around the world and what implications and challenges does it
pose for researchers, scholars, technology designers and users, and
citizens? We invite submission in all of the categories below that identify,
consider and ideally propose specific steps we can take to make presence a
force for positive rather than negative change. Data-based projects, concept
and theory building work as well as personal (first person) reflections are
encouraged.

Categories

We invite researchers and practitioners to submit their work in the categories
below. All submissions are to be in APA format (http://www.apastyle.org/)
and except for the separate title page not identify the author(s) directly or
indirectly (for blind peer review). A template for Microsoft Word is available at
https://tinyurl.com/PC-APA-template-Word  and a template for LaTeX
(https://www.latex-project.org/) is available at
https://tinyurl.com/PC-APA-template-Latex.

* PAPERS: Comprehensive descriptions of research or design work and/or
theoretical investigation within the scope of the conference; up to 30 pages
(including references) in APA format. Papers must relate to existing literature
on presence and make an original contribution to it.

* SHORT PAPERS: Short papers may be up to 12 pages in APA format.

* POSTERS: Visual display presentations. Poster proposals must describe
and/or contain early drafts of the visual display. Accepted poster abstracts
will be displayed during a dedicated session of the conference that begins
with short oral previews, and then published in the conference Proceedings.

* DEMONSTRATIONS/EXHIBITIONS: Step-by-step audiovisual
demonstrations and/or hands-on experiences of non-commercial work within
the scope of the conference. Accepted demonstration/exhibition proposals
will be presented during a dedicated session of the conference and included
in the conference Proceedings. For the exhibitions of commercial products,
please contact us for sponsorship terms and opportunities.

* PANELS: Presence 2020 welcomes panel proposals which allow panelists
and participants to discuss any topic relevant to presence, especially the
conference theme of challenges. Discussion and paper panel submissions
must include the following: (1) title, (2) description and rationale (75 words or
less), (3) titles and brief abstracts (100 words or less) for each panelist, and
(4) a complete list of participants along with their institutional affiliations and
contact information.

Proceedings

All accepted submissions will be collected in the official conference
proceedings (with ISBN) and will be permanently available for download in
the ISPR conference archive.

Procedure

Online submissions should be submitted via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=p2020

IMPORTANT DATES

* Submission deadline: August 20, 2020 (with some flexibility - email the
conference chair at lombard at temple.edu if you need a few extra days)

* Notification of acceptance decisions: September 10, 2020

* Finished, camera-ready papers due: October 10, 2020

LOCATION/VENUE

The conference will take place online via Zoom. Details forthcoming.

ABOUT ISPR

The International Society for Presence Research (ISPR) is a non-profit
membership organization founded in 2002 to support academic research
related to the concept of (tele)presence. ISPR has sponsored 17 successful
international conferences (beginning informally in 1998), providing richly
social opportunities to share scholarship and applications of the presence
concept. The ISPR website (http://ispr.info) serves as a resource for those
who conduct research, develop theory, design, market, write about, or simply
are interested in, the concept and phenomena of presence. ISPR Presence
News (http://ispr.info/posts), available via the ISPR website, provides current
news stories, calls for papers and participation, position announcements,
and other informative posts every weekday (a total of nearly 4000 posts
since 2009).

ORGANIZERS and CONTACT

Matthew Lombard, Temple University (lombard at temple.edu)
Cheryl Bracken, Cleveland State University
Jihyun Kim, University of Central Florida
Eugene Kukshinov, Temple University
SongYi Lee, Temple University
Kun Xu, University of Florida
Hocheol Yang, Temple University

--
Matthew Lombard, Ph.D.
Co-Chair, Department of Media Studies & Production

President, International Society for Presence Research (ISPR)

lombard at temple.edu
http://matthewlombard.com