[Air-L] Aspen Tech Policy Hub Webinar: Improving Democracy Through Technology August 5 9am PT

Betsy Cooper aspentechpolicyhub at aspeninstitute.org
Tue Jul 28 13:53:00 PDT 2020

August 5 Webinar: Improving Democracy Through Technology

The uses and effects of technological change permeate through all of our
systems, including our democracy. Yet given political polarization and
uncertain legal rules, our current climate presents unique challenges to
our ideas and values of democracy. How might we use and think about
technology to better serve our democratic institutions?

Join Aspen Tech Policy Hub [1]Fellows as they showcase their projects under
the theme: Improving Democracy Through Technology. Following the
presentations of the projects, California Supreme Court Justice
Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar will give further remarks. This webinar is part
of our Demo Days event series. Learn more [2]on our website.

[3]RSVP

The projects to be presented are:

Combating Election Disinformation by Shining Light on Dark Ads. Every day,
tens of millions of Americans view political advertisements on social media
that disguise themselves as unpaid content, also known as “dark ads.”
According to NYU researchers, more than half of Facebook pages from May
2018 until June 2019 that displayed U.S. political ads concealed the
identities of their backers. [4]Matt Volk and [5]Elizabeth Allendorf joined
forces to develop a game that educates the public about dark ads, and to
propose a series of actions that regulatory entities can take to increase
transparency in this ecosystem.

Using Automated Advocates to Provide Legal Services at Scale. The United
States faces a crisis in its civil courts, where more than 80% of
low-income households lack adequate legal representation. A promising new
class of technology tools (“Automated Advocates”) can help close that gap,
but regulatory complexity about who may practice law make it difficult for
companies to build these tools and for regulators to distinguish good
actors from bad. [6]Jessica Cole led a project to coalesce and define
Automated Advocates in order to regulate and incentivize their use in civil
courts.

People Powered Policy. It is difficult for cities to obtain real-time
feedback from their constituents on impending policy decisions. At the same
time, constituents from disenfranchised communities struggle to get the
attention of elected officials to drive policy change. [7]Amy Wilson led a
project focused on the City of Oakland, California, that develops a
strategy to encourage two-way iterative communication between city
government and their constituents and embrace a digital transformation.

[8]

[9]RSVP

CONTACT US
[10]Twitter [11]Email Address [12]Website