[Air-L] Seeking literature on Internet access in prisons and detention facilities

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Mon Jul 13 23:54:03 PDT 2020

Hi Muira,

I'm not sure if they are already on your radar, but there are some recent pieces on communicative practices of refugees and irregularized migrants living in camps and detention centers,

See for example

Stavinoha, L. (2019). Communicative acts of citizenship: Contesting Europe’s border in and through the
media. International Journal of Communication, 13, 1212–1230.

Also Behrous Boochani's story might be interesting

in the Pacific, Behrouz Boochani offered a poetic first-person account of his experiences being held in Aus- tralia’s offshore detention center Manus Island. His award- winning book No Friends but the Mountains, typed out on a mobile phone and shared via WhatsApp, offers a portrait of life in detention, including emotional and psychological pressures, starvation, and insomnia, among others, through his unique self-composed discourse:
The government have constructed this system and they create terms to establish and reinforce their power... I avoid using their language as much as I can... through literature I can do whatever I like. I create my own discourse and do not succumb to the language of oppressive power. I create my own language for critically analysing the phenomenon of Manus Prison. (Boochani 2018, 266)

Boochani, Behrouz. 2018. No Friend but the Mountains: Writings from Manus Prison. Translated by Omid Tofighian. Sydney, Australia: Pan Macmillan Australia.

Rae M, Holman R, Nethery A. Self-represented witnessing: The use of social media by asylum seekers in Australia’s offshore immigration detention centres. Media Cult Soc. 2018;40(4):479–95.

And a paper I wrote could be of interest, Leurs, K. (2017). Communication rights from the margins. Politicizing young refugees’ smart phone pocket
archives. International Communication Gazette, 79 (6-7), 674-698

Hope this helps - can you kindly share literature you received back to the list?

Warm wishes from Utrecht,

Koen.

Assistant professor Gender & Postcolonial Studies | Graduate Gender Programme | Department of Media and Culture Studies | Utrecht University, the Netherlands | Muntstraat 2a, 3512 EV room 1.09 | T. + 31 30 253 7844| www.koenleurs.net <http://www.koenleurs.net/>
Teaching/onderwijs: Coordinator minor Gender studies <https://students.uu.nl/en/node/351/gender-studies>, minor Postcolonial studies <https://students.uu.nl/en/node/351/postcolonial-studies>, TCS hoofdrichting Gender and Postcolonial Studies <https://tcs.sites.uu.nl/kernpakket/genderstudies/> // Docentlid opleidingscommissie TCS <https://students.uu.nl/gw/tcs/contact/opleidingscommissie>

Network: Chair Diaspora, Migration and the Media Section <https://www.facebook.com/groups/521804364497541/>, European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA) – join our Facebook group <https://www.facebook.com/groups/521804364497541/>

Recent publications:
-Sage Handbook of Media and Migration <https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/the-sage-handbook-of-media-and-migration/book260835> (2020), edited with Kevin Smets, Myria Georgiou, Saskia Witteborn & Radhika Gajjala
-Transnational connectivity and the affective paradoxes of digital care labour: Exploring how young refugees technologically mediate co-presence <https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0267323119886166> (2019), European Journal of Communication
-Practicing critical media literacy education with/for young migrants: Lessons learned from a participatory action research project <https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1748048519883511> (2019), International Communication Gazette, with Hemmo Bruinenberg, Ena Omérovic & Sanne Sprenger