[Air-L] non-Zoom platforms....again

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Wed Jul 29 21:23:41 PDT 2020

Many thanks for these answers. I should have made clearer in my message
that some open source conferencing software solutions do exist. Apart
from Jitsi, Big blue button comes to mind for example. The salient point
is not really the frontend software itself but the investment in the
infrastructure to support the bandwidth, something that can be done at
the local or national level. In France, "rendez vous Renater" was
working ok until the pandemic but the infrastructure behind it was not
designed for the sharp increase in use that followed the pandemic. The
point is that it became easier to outsource to corporations offering the
necessary bandwidth with their software solutions instead of investing
in increasing the possibilities of the existing one.

In a similar way, some French universities completely abandoned their
emailing addresses services provided by Renater because Renater is
charging for a service that Google provides for free. (And from what I
saw in my short stay in Philly, that may also be the case for American
universities).

What is new here, is that it is the pandemic and the sudden and massive
turn to online conferencing that tore into pieces another possibility of
providing and maintaining an open infrastructure.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet