[Air-L] Question: Increase in vigilantism/surveillance over refugees during the pandemic?

Marco Campana marcolists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:25:18 PDT 2020

This article (French) about electronic surveillance of immigrants in Canada
might be of interest -
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1718521/detention-immigration-bracelet-electronique-coronavirus-toronto-quebec

This June webinar recording might be of interest - Pandemic borders
webinar: Pandemic vulnerabilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ83MbXj-04

Petra Molnar's article is relevant - COVID-19: can technology become a tool
of oppression and surveillance?
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/pandemic-border/covid-19-can-technology-become-tool-oppression-and-surveillance/>
A webinar to investigate the pandemic's impact on non-status migrants and
asylum seekers

Join Ryerson’s CERC in Migration and Integration program for a webinar to
investigate the extraordinary challenges that migrant populations are
facing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This panel of international experts will discuss the conditions facing
non-status migrants and asylum seekers, who are not only under increasing
security controls, but also, in reality, extremely vulnerable.  From the
dire conditions surrounding detainees to the particular challenges facing
non-status migrant women, we look at the populations who are being
unreasonably targeted for the “safety of the others”, and the technologies
that are being used to do so.

Featuring short talks by:

   - Dr. Margarita Pintin-Perez, OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies
   Serving Immigrants READ ARTICLE

   <https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/pandemic-border/canada-non-status-women-are-being-left-behind/>
   - Dr. Michael Flynn, Global Detention Project READ ARTICLE,
   <https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/pandemic-border/covid-19-reveals-inherent-vindictiveness-migration-detention/>

   - Ms. Petra Molnar, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto READ ARTICLE
   <https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/pandemic-border/covid-19-can-technology-become-tool-oppression-and-surveillance/>