[Air-L] Question: Increase in vigilantism/surveillance over refugees during the pandemic?

Peck Cheong Niki.Cheong at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 30 05:48:15 PDT 2020

Hi Raphael,

I'm not sure how much technology was involved in terms of surveillance, but Malaysia used Covid-19 to clamp down on refugees (and 'illegal' migrant workers', in some instances, 'luring' them out on the guise of testing. This then led to clusters of Covid-19 infections in the camps where they were detained.

A couple of media reports as starting points:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/malaysia-detains-migrants-refugees-coronavirus-lockdown-200501134602431.html
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/02/malaysia-cites-covid-19-for-rounding-up-hundreds-of-migrants

Hope this helps.

All best wishes,

Niki

--

Dr. Niki Cheong (he/him)
Postdoctoral Researcher

www.nikicheong.com
Twitter: @nikicheong

Latest publication:

  Johns, A., & Cheong, N. (2019). Feeling the Chill: Bersih 2.0, State Censorship, and “Networked Affect” on Malaysian Social Media 2012–2018. Social Media + Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/2056305118821801