[Air-L] CFP for the NordiCHI 2020 workshop on “Sharing & Cooperativism: Designing for Economies”

Airi Lampinen airilampinen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:59:36 PDT 2020

Dear all,

Together with several colleagues of our COST action on the collaborative
economy (http://sharingandcaring.eu/), we are happy to announce a call for
participation (CfP) for the NordiCHI 2020 workshop on sharing,
cooperatives, economics, and design. NordiCHI is the main Nordic forum for
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research, held bi-annually. "NordiCHI
addresses the field broadly and is a meeting place for researchers from
academia and industry, designers, practitioners, educators and others
working within HCI and related disciplines.” (nordichi2020.org)

We invite scholars, designers, and activists with a background in
computing, design, economics, sociology, anthropology and beyond to
participate in our workshop. The CfP is below, the submissions are
lightweight and the remote attendance is possible.

The NordiCHI 2020 workshop “Sharing & Cooperativism: Designing for
Economies” aims to bring together practitioners and scholars working at the
intersection of sharing, cooperativism, and design.

By turning to sharing and cooperativism, we imagine building systems in
relation to the wider social and political structures surrounding these
concepts. Yet, in sharing and cooperativism, less emphasis is given to the
possibilities that design can bring to the emerging interactions at the
intersections of social, cultural, and economic issues. A progressive
approach is needed to uncover the relationship of sharing and cooperativism
to new design paradigms that allows us to move towards an alternative
understanding of economies through design. Our aim is to ground this
discussion through a design workshop that is well-aligned with the
historical, political, and economic infrastructures in order to shape the
relationship of design and economics in the context of sharing and
cooperativism.

We call for participants from diverse backgrounds to contribute to a
critical discussion at the intersection of design, sharing, cooperativism,
and economics on the workshop's thematic areas: (i) Local relational assets
in sharing; (ii) Global sharing cultures, and (iii) Design beyond markets
for sharing and cooperativism. More details:
https://sharingcoopnordichi2020.wordpress.com/theme

To apply, please submit a 1-4 page(s) position paper explaining your
interests in design and cooperativism in the ACM Submission Template format
by September 1, 2020 through our website
https://sharingcoopnordichi2020.wordpress.com . To promote broader
participation from design practitioners, and community activists, we offer
the option of submitting alternative material in the form of a design
portfolio, a short manifesto, or the like.

Key dates:
Submission Deadline: September 1, 2020, 5pm PDT
Notification: September 8, 2020
Workshop: October 25/26, 2020

Organizers:
Özge Subasi, Koç University (TR)
Anton Fedosov, University of Zurich (CH)
Oliver Bates, Lancaster University (UK)
Airi Lampinen, Stockholm University (SE)
Ann Light, University of Sussex (UK) and Malmö University (SE)

More details: https://sharingcoopnordichi2020.wordpress.com
Questions? Drop us an email at sharingcoopnordichi2020 at gmail.com

Looking forward to your contributions & please spread the word to
colleagues who might be interested in participating!

--
Airi Lampinen
Department of Computer and Systems Sciences (DSV)

airi at dsv.su.se | @airi_ | airilampinen.fi
Weekly newsletter: tinyletter.com/airi_/